We would all love to save time and be able to spend time with the family more right?
Well I love to do that too and lately I been finding new ways and experimenting with how to live a life as chemical free as possible. I will blame my sister for this as this is her all over.
My mission is to live life to the max on a budget and share it all with you.
So where am I starting?
I am starting on the cleaning my house as chemical free as possible. Here I am exploring alternative ways to use bicarbonate of soda in my everyday cleaning. After a lot of scrubbing and trialling various ways and means to use the bicarbonate, I felt I had to share my findings.
So here is to a chemical free cleaning new way. Here is what I found bicarbonate of soda has been good for in my home.
- use as a brush cleaner. This was a surprise for me but actually did work. We all get grubby brushes every so often and what happens when you wash them? Nothing it just makes the dust and hair clump together. So what I did try was adding 1 teaspoon of bicarb to some warm water and let it dissolve. I then cleaned out as much hair and dust as could from hair brush and soaked in the water for 30 minutes rinsed and allowed to dry bristles down. This left my brush cleaner then ever and as if it were new once again.
- surface scrub. This is my addictive favourite way now. Add a bit to a damp cloth and scrub the bath, sink, toilet and even the tiles. This lifted those horrible water marks and bought back the shine once again. Very little effort but maximum results
- This is sort of tried before and is a god send for burnt on food. Add a tablespoon of bicarb to water and add washing detergent as normal to your dish water. This makes washing up so much easier and for the stubborn burnt on baking trays etc leave to soak for 5 minutes and it will soon lift.
- add cloths and sponges to a solution of 4 teaspoons of bicarb and bit of water. To really disinfect you can put in microwave on high for 30 seconds to really kill off those nasties.
- Even better is once you disinfected your sponge wipe around the microwave and it will help lift grime with ease.
- If like me you hate the oven cleaning well I have just tried this and I will never buy chemical cleaners again. Sprinkle some bicarb in the bottom of the oven and spray to dampen shut door and leave overnight. In the morning scoop out dirt and rinse with water. Bonus no chemical smell and perfect for pregnant women.
- Adding half a cup of bicarb to your washing will make the liquid detergent work harder making clothes cleaner and fresher.
- Sick of the smelly bin sprinkle bicarb in the bottom to neutralize the odours. Clean out once a month and just refresh
- Smelly drains no more add half a cup down the drain whilst running warm water. It is a great way to use the bits you had put in fridge to neutralize the fridge.
- Lastly remove the odours lingering in the carpet. Sprinkle bicarb and allow to settle overnight or as long as possible then hoover up and see the difference in an instant.
So there you have it 10 alternative uses in the house for bicarbonate of soda. Also what even better is it is chemical free.
What are your favourite uses for bicarbonate of soda let me know in the comments below?